The splendor of the King, clothed in majesty. Let all the earth ReJoiCe! :)

Saturday, November 12, 2005

In the doghouse...

No, I'm not in great trouble. I was literally in the dog house! :) Went to visit Kingston's animal shelter on Friday. With a bunch of people from a club in Queens aptly called 'Lost Paws'. What this club does is that it arranges for car rides to ferry people to the animal shelter and give the little lost paws some TLC.

It was my first time and I was reaaaaaaaally excited. I haven't got in close contact with any animal since I left my dear Rusty at home. So what did we do that day? We walked dogs! (There was a cuddle-the-cats option, which I was well, less excited about though I have nothing against cats...)

The first dogs that caught my attention, and another Lost Paw-er were these two shaggy little doggies. They were poodles, but not like those you see in Singapore, those strange white woolly things...They had grey fur that looked like a mop and covered their eyes. It was queer because they were just sitting together at the end of the cage, not making much movement. But they were so sweet and since they were caged together, we felt they had to be walked together as well. So Andie (she's a girl...odd name eh?) and I took Pepper and Missy out.

As we were carrying the little precious pups out, the vet there told us, "Hey girls, they are so sweet aren't they? You can take them out, but I just wanted to let you know that these dogs are blind, so you have to watch out for them ok?"

Awww...Those little things were blind! Their owner had been sent to a home, so they were left alone. But! An elderly couple who were supposed to adopt a spaniel at the shelter were too late for the spaniel, and they fell in love with Pepper and Missy (who wouldn't...) and they've been adopted. Yay! :)

But they were so sweet. We let them loose in the dog run and they were just so excited. Each time you called their names, they would prick up their ears and come running back to you...Their sense of sound was excellent! And they'd be so excited and jumpy and loving. Awww...Oh, but it was well, a little funny, a little sad when they ran into the fence that surrounded the dog run because of their excitedness. But they were fine. So yeah. :)

The saddest part was when we put them back to go walk other dogs. They started whimpering and wouldn't let us go!! Awwww...They were so lonesome...We were so reluctant. But oh wells. They other dogs were just as eager to go for a walk...Sighs.

I managed to walk another dog...A Siberian Husky mixed! It was a husky, but it had ears that flopped down! Hehehe...The opposite of my Rusty. Rusty is supposed to be a Jack Russell but his ears stick out...This Husky, (name's HUNTER!) is supposed to have upright ears but apparently they're down! Hehe. But he's really cute. And frisky.

When I came in, he started licking up every single scrap of food in his bowl. He probably thought I was going to eat his food. When I took him out, he was elated! He's kinda a big dog, so he was kinda dragging me around. Hehe. But it was alright. It was a nice experience since I've always wanted to have a big dog! I also realized I do need to train up a little to make sure that I am strong enough to handle them. Haha. I took a treat with me to keep Hunter in control...Just in case he got a little too strong, I had a treat with me. And it worked! I really love big dogs. So huge and cuddly.

I didn't bring my camera in. Grr. So I don't have photos of them yet. But I'm going again next Friday! Yay!! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home